Tuesday, 13 August 2013

Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (Harry Potter, #6)
The war against Voldemort is not going well; even the Muggle governments are noticing. Ron scans the obituary pages of the Daily Prophet, looking for familiar names. Dumbledore is absent from Hogwarts for long stretches of time, and the Order of the Phoenix has already suffered losses. And yet, as with all wars, life goes on. Sixth-year students learn to Apparate—and lose a few eyebrows in the process. Teenagers flirt and fight and fall in love. Classes are never straightforward, though Harry receives some extraordinary help from the mysterious Half-Blood Prince.

The Half Blood Prince was quite different to the rest of the Harry Potter books and like the Prisoner of Azkaban, Lord Voldemort doesn't actually appear in the present. So there was a lot less action and danger in some senses (apart from that minor little bit at the end where Dumbledore is killed by Snape) but I am really pleased that it focused a great deal more on the developing romances and friendships between the characters. It becomes apparent for the first time in the series that although Ginny has always liked Harry despite seeing other people that he also likes her back. Although I knew of this already due to having seen the films perhaps one too many times I was really pleased by this turn of events and think that although they are not as well suited to one another as other couples in the books I like the idea of them being together. J.K Rowling described moments between them perfectly and I am glad she gave Ginny a bigger role in this book. 

Then there is Ron and Hermione. In my opinion Ron and Hermione are the best couple in literature as they are meant to be together. Throughout this book you feel really sorry for Hermione as you can see how much she loves Ron even if he doesn't know it. Rowling also puts Lavender into the mix which is my least favourite part of the book but there are so many moments between Ron and Hermione that are beautifully written and I think this is why I love this book so much. Moving away from the romantic side of things though, I thought it was great that Rowling provided us with a past for Lord Voldemort and although he is pure evil there are a few moments when you do feel slightly sorry for him. One of my favourite things about JK Rowling's characters is that she gives them all such a detailed background and this becomes particularly apparent in this book.



Holly x
PS: This is my fantasy review for the Summer Reading Smackdown.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for commenting! I really appreciate every comment and do my best to provide a response.