Saturday, 12 October 2013

Cover Reveal: The Hunger Games Trilogy

Katniss, 16, takes her sister's place in the televised annual Hunger Games, competing against Peeta, the boy who gave them bread to survive after their father died. The cruel Capitol forces each of 12 districts to submit a boy and girl 12-18, to fight to the death. Only one can survive and be rewarded. President Snow manipulates behind the scenes.

I don't know if these covers have been around too long but they have only just arrived in the book shops (Waterstones and W H Smith's) where I live in Manchester and so I thought I would show them to you.

PRO's
These books are absolutely beautiful. I know I have not said this before but there have been times when I have bought a book essentially down to the fact that along with the blurb, the main reason it has been purchased is because of the cover being eye catching and appealing. This sounds really obvious but that is probably why publishers make such amazing covers, to instantly suck you in and persuade you to buy it. However, as much as I am a victim of this, I disagree with it because that is not the point of a book. But anyhow, I digress. The covers are so shiny and catch the light. One thing that is really clever is that as the books reach their inevitable climax, the colours of the covers get angrier. So on Catching Fire, the cover is red and then as it calms down again (only slightly from what I gather from reviews) the covers are colder - Mockingjay is blue.

Con's
I only actually have two cons. Firstly, they are very bright. I know that you get a lot of covers that are bright but magpies would come searching for these, as if they were shiny bits of metal. I think if I were to have these additions on my bookshelf, they would divert a lot of attention from any other books - and I really don't want that. Secondly, the shininess. I think the only other thing is that I would be worried that they would get scratched, because then the marks or scratches would really show up and be noticable.

Holly x

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for commenting! I really appreciate every comment and do my best to provide a response.