Saturday, 7 December 2013

Bookish 2013 Part 1

This is part of Jamie from the Perpetual Pageturner's Annual book survey - as this is technically my first full year at A DayDreamer's Thoughts, I decided to fill it in.

1. Best Book You Read In 2013? (If you have to cheat — you can break it down by genre if you want or 2013 release vs. backlist)

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K Rowling - anyone who knows me knows this is a very obvious answer but anywho! 

2. Book You Were Excited About & Thought You Were Going To Love More But Didn’t?

Starter for Ten by David Nicholls

 3. Most surprising (in a good way!) book of 2013? 

Earthbound by Aprilynne Pike. I had no idea how brilliant it would be.
Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell (this post has been updated 31/12/12013) I had no idea how much I'd love this book and it has now placed me into a book slump.

 4. Book you read in 2013 that you recommended to people most in 2013?

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green.

 5. Best series you discovered in 2013?

Divergent by Veronica Roth - I still haven't finished the first book but it is amazing so far.

 6. Favourite new author you discovered in 2013?

John Green. I've only read TFiOS but I've purchased nearly all his other books and read a few pages of Paper Towns - I love his writing style.

7. Best book that was out of your comfort zone or was a new genre for you?

The Hunger Games. I had never read a Dystopian before and that gave me a bad first impression but I've re read it and like it more now. This whole genre is a bit of a risky area I'd imagine for authors but I'm beginning to like it more.

 8. Most thrilling, unputdownable book in 2013?

Torn by Cat Clarke. I read this in three days back in May and it was just mind boggling.

 9. Book You Read In 2013 That You Are Most Likely To Re-Read Next Year?

The Fault in Our Stars - as I now own a signed copy as well!

10. Favourite cover of a book you read in 2013?

Earthbound (Earthbound, #1)

11. Most memorable character in 2013? 

Augustus Waters - he was... amazingly sweet and will stick with me for a very long time.

 12. Most beautifully written book read in 2013?

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. The scenes were beautiful and it definitely lived up to the standard I expected.

13. Book that had the greatest impact on you in 2013? 

The Fault in Our Stars. Two years ago, a friend that was in my form died the day before we were to start Year 8. He had Non Hodgkins Lymphoma - a cancer of the blood and survived for only six months after being diagnosed. I only knew them for little over a year but they became a good friend to me and their death affected me more than I could imagine. What happens with Gus reminds me of what he went through very much and how Hazel copes afterwards reminds me of how I felt after he died. That brought up a lot of memories but it was touching and sweet to read this book.

 14. Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2013 to finally read? 

Same as Question 13. In fairness I only heard about TFiOS by chance whilst I was in Waterstones in January and decided to give it a go. I think it'd already been out a year before I saw it and I wish I had done so earlier but oh well.

 15. Favorite Passage/Quote From A Book You Read In 2013?

16.Shortest & Longest Book You Read In 2013?

Shortest - Of Mice and Men - This was NOT read by choice but we're doing it in English for GCSE English Literature.
Longest - Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - it was worth it.

 17. Book That Had A Scene In It That Had You Reeling And Dying To Talk To Somebody About It? (a WTF moment, an epic revelation, a steamy kiss, etc. etc.) Be careful of spoilers!

I feel a bit uncomfortable talking about things like this but there was a moment in Torn by Cat Clarke which was "leading to something" if you know what I mean, and then something shocking happened and literally my jaw dropped, meaning that that "thing" didn't happen.

18. Favourite Relationship From A Book You Read In 2013 (be it romantic, friendship, etc).

Ron and Hermione - THEY KISSED! In Deathly Hallows their relationship was just amazing and I especially loved the 19 years later scene and their part in it. Aww.....

19. Favourite Book You Read in 2013 From An Author You’ve Read Previously

Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince by J.K Rowling - I just finished this in late January.

20. Genre You Read The Most From in 2013?

Contemporary YA definitely

21. Newest fictional crush from a book you read in 2013?

My love for Ron Weasley only developed even more this year.

22.Most vivid world/imagery in a book you read in 2013?

Is that a serious question? Harry Potter just... because.

23. Book That Was The Most Fun To Read in 2013?

Most fun would be Torn by Cat Clarke because although it was very dark it was so gripping it was unbelievable.

24. Book That Made You Cry Or Nearly Cry in 2013?

Turns out that books don't make me cry  - no matter how sad the content is.

25. Book You Read in 2013 That You Think Got Overlooked This Year Or When It Came Out?

Earthbound by Aprilynne Pike. I think maybe because it wasn't the same as the Wings series but it seemed very quiet in the atmosphere surrounding this book as far as I could see.


Holly x

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for commenting! I really appreciate every comment and do my best to provide a response.