Friday, 6 December 2013

Christmas Wishlist #1

The Lord of the Rings - J.R.R. Tolkein

In ancient times the Rings of Power were crafted by the Elven-smiths, and Sauron, The Dark Lord, forged the One Ring, filling it with his own power so that he could rule all others. But the One Ring was taken from him, and though he sought it throughout Middle-earth, it remained lost to him. After many ages it fell, by chance, into the hands of the hobbit, Bilbo Baggins.

The reality is that I still haven't read the Hobbit which is a sort of prequel to the trilogy - although I have seen the first film, I'm going to see the second next week when it is released! And I've got the Lord of the Rings trilogy on DVD in spite of not watching it. The Hobbit plot seems amazing so far and these books are just gorgeous...They are cloth bound and on the spines a winter tree if they are put together. I know I probably won't get this as it costs nearly £40.00 but I can amazon window shop for now it seems...

Delirium - Lauren Oliver
Ninety-five days, and then I'll be safe. I wonder whether the procedure will hurt. I want to get it over with. It's hard to be patient. It's hard not to be afraid while I'm still uncured, though so far the deliria hasn't touched me yet. Still, I worry. They say that in the old days, love drove people to madness. The deadliest of all deadly things: It kills you both when you have it and when you don't.
Delirium (Delirium, #1)

I'm not a great fan of dystopian novels. I couldn't get into The Hunger Games and that was the first dystopian that I read, however then I have began reading Divergent and I'm in love with this idea of in a completely imperfect world and what could really happen to our society in the future. I love the premises behind this book and this ingenious idea that people want to be cured of what appears to be in their world a terrible disease - a disease which some of us would see as the greatest thing - love. It is obvious there is going to be some sort of rebellion within this book and I really want to know how.

Code Name Verity - Elizabeth Wein
Code Name VerityI have two weeks. You’ll shoot me at the end no matter what I do.
That’s what you do to enemy agents. It’s what we do to enemy agents. But I look at all the dark and twisted roads ahead and cooperation is the easy way out. Possibly the only way out for a girl caught red-handed doing dirty work like mine — and I will do anything, anything, to avoid SS-Hauptsturmf├╝hrer von Linden interrogating me again.
He has said that I can have as much paper as I need. All I have to do is cough up everything I can remember about the British War Effort. And I’m going to. But the story of how I came to be here starts with my friend Maddie. She is the pilot who flew me into France — an Allied Invasion of Two.


This is something that I feel very uncertain as to whether I want to read or not. As I am studying History as one of my GCSE's - specifically as one of the papers is going to be on the "Impact of War" I think this would be a great book, but I'm not sure if I'd become very engaged in it or enjoy a novel about such a terrible time. However, this has had incredibly positive response so maybe if it's that great I should read it (?).

Holly x

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for commenting! I really appreciate every comment and do my best to provide a response.