Saturday, 8 March 2014

Discussion: DNF

DNF (Did Not Finish)

I don't DNF.

I don't really know why. I just never do. When you buy a book you have full intentions of reading it from cover to cover, and I personally like to stick to that policy. There are a lot of books that, if I have chosen not to read them, I will Google the ending. For example; I know the ending of Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins and The Book Thief by Markus Zusak. If I choose later on to then read that book then losing out on the excitement of not knowing what is going to happen is my loss. But if I have a book that I have chosen to read, then I plan to read the whole book.

It's a difficult decision. If you're not enjoying a book then why should you continue to read it? I know that if I discuss with my family what I'm reading and say that I'm not enjoying it then my mum or my auntie or someone will say "just stop reading it then". Well, it isn't always that simple. If you end a book at for example; half way through, then unless you read the last chapter or so, you will have no idea what happens at the end. Why leave the ending a mystery?

There are a few books that I haven't finished such as City of Bones, and Hush Hush. I have done reviews of both of these here at A DayDreamer's Thoughts and have decided that I only should DNF a book if I become desperate to stop reading it. 

Even if you decide that you are not enjoying a book, and you continue to read it, then at least you get some sense of closure. For all you know, the ending ironically might be the best part of the book, and could be exactly how you wanted it to be. That book won't be perfect in your eyes but it will have still at least have had it's perks. 

My conclusion on this matter is that I will always try and finish a book, if I don't then I don't. It's as simple as that however I'm not going to give up easily. If I don't like a book then it will simply have a lower rating - it might also say if I have DNF'd it but it will just be rated like any other book would have been. 

Holly x

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for commenting! I really appreciate every comment and do my best to provide a response.