Sunday, 27 April 2014

If I Stay by Gayle Forman

If I Stay (If I Stay, #1)Mia had everything: a loving family, a gorgeous, admiring boyfriend, and a bright future full of music and full of choices. In an instant, almost all of that is taken from her. Caught between life and death, between a happy past and an unknowable future, Mia spends one critical day contemplating the only decision she has left. It is the most important decision she'll ever make.

If I Stay is the first book I've read by Gayle Forman, and after waiting for months to buy this book and finally read it, I certainly wasn't let down.

Mia is an incredibly talented cellist who loves her life. She has a wonderful family and boyfriend, and she's going to attend a renowned Music College. Then, whilst on a car journey, Mia is involved in a car crash, in which she is the only survivor. Mia has to chose whether she wants to continue to live, or die.

This is a book which is very hard to write a review about. It was brilliant, but the brilliance is so difficult to describe. The characters within this book were exceptionally likeable, you could see where they were all coming from with their points of view as they witnessed the aftermath of the accident. Additionally, all of them, even the minor characters, like the nurses who look after Mia whilst she's unconscious were so well developed that you could be convinced that they were as prominent as Mia in the story. And Forman didn't spare any gruesome details when describing this part either.

Mia and Adam... gah! Mia and Adam's relationship was written beautifully as was the entire novel, but this in particular. A lot of people would dislike the idea of a high school romance as in a lot of cases in fiction, they aren't destined to go anywhere, but I loved this. You could see the clear connection between Mia and Adam and the thing that pulled them together - music. They were so deeply and truly in love with each other that even in the darkest moments of the book you get the reaction that you'd have to a light contemporary and sort of feel warm and happy inside. Their love was something that is one of the most memorable parts of the book and something that will probably stick with me for a long time.

The writing as I've already mentioned was stunning throughout this book, especially when handling the subject of death. You can't help but feel sorry for Mia as her whole life is turned upside down and at times, you just want to hug her. I think one of the reasons the writing really appealed to me was because of the countless musical references. As someone who plays the cello and is a cellist, violinist and pianist themself, I really enjoyed the way that that was panned out. Like there was a scene between Mia and Adam, which was discretely played out covered by musical references, and things like that throughout the book were really enjoyable to read.

So basically this book was just phenomenal, and I can't get it out of my head. It definitely exceeded my expectations and I feel very pleased to say that I've read this.


Holly x

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for commenting! I really appreciate every comment and do my best to provide a response.