Sunday, 15 June 2014

Perks of Being a Bookworm: Goodreads


Given that there hasn't been a post surrounding this feature in nearly a month, I felt the need to write the fifth perk of being a bookworm. Goodreads is something that I want to talk about a lot more, and whilst I did the Goodreads Tag a while ago, I felt sort of restricted with the questions that were included in that, so here I am doing this!

THE POSITIVES
  • A SOCIAL NETWORK FOR PEOPLE WHO LOVE BOOKS! Honestly it's my idea of heaven.
  • Reading Challenges
  • You can record when you read a book, how long it took you to read the book, how many times you've read it, it's like a personal library.
  • QUOTES!!!! QUOTES QUOTES QUOTES
  • Goodreads First Reads Giveaways
  • Interviews with authors
  • Great way of discovering new books and new authors
  • The page tracker (that's what I call it) telling you how far in % you are through the book your reading - this can be really motivating.
  • Newsletter emails, specifically to genres you read e.g. YA

THE NEGATIVES
  • The rating system: no 1/2 stars, need I say more?
  • The strange strange messaging system.
  • Groups - some are good, some are great, but then "here comes the constant unneccessary emails".
  • 5000 friends limit - not that I'll ever reach that but to be friends with people who have that many, it's not fair.
  • You can't have a book and read it one year and have it on that years reading challenge and then re-read and do it again the next year. If that makes any sense (if not then I'm sorry!)
  • The design could do with being.... well, with being redesigned - it's a bit bland but I like it too.
As you can see, I have a lot of opinions on the Goodreads debate and I also have a lot of issues with the website - no matter how much I love it.

What do you think of Goodreads? What do you want to see in this feature?
Please let me know in the comments.
Holly x

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for commenting! I really appreciate every comment and do my best to provide a response.