Saturday, 26 July 2014

The J.K.Rowling Law

As a Potterhead, who's obsession has been going strong for exactly 3 years now (yay!), I'm constantly on the lookout for anything remotely related to Harry Potter. A bit like an owl really. Hedwig perhaps? You may be aware of the fact that a few weeks ago J K Rowling herself realeased some new material on Pottermore. Yes, that's right, EVEN MORE POTTER!!!


The material was in a form of a newspaper article written by Rita Skeeter set around the time that Harry, Ron and Hermione are aged 33 and are attending the Quidditch World Cup. There were a lot of things that Rowling brought up in the article surrounding the characters which had never been mentioned before, and that got me thinking.


IS WHAT J.K ROWLING WRITES POTTER LAW?

Is it law with any author though really? But here I want to focus on Ms Rowling. In the epilogue of Deathly Hallows, Rowling set some things straight. For example; Ron and Hermione got married - they had two children called Rose and Hugo. In my eyes, whilst people can imagine all they want about what happened, Rowling set those things in concrete. Those things are kind of Potter Law - they happened. These characters belong to her. They are from inside her head and therefore, Rowling has the right to tell us what happened to those characters.


But then something crept up that slightly contradicts this argument. In the article, it is stated that Hugo's hair is brown. Brown. I have spent the past three years under the impression that Hugo Weasley has ginger hair, and so that is how I picture him. Even though J.K R has stated this minor fact, I want to keep things as they are in my head. 


So that's where Fanfiction comes in. 
I'm a Harry Potter fanfiction author on fanfiction.net. Writing fanfiction is something that though at first sounds ridiculous, is one of the things I'm most proud of due to reaching such a great audience. I keep to the facts that Rowling has stated, but I put my own interpretation of events into my work as well and I don't have a problem with that. Everyone, no matter what book it is should be allowed to imagine their perfect ending.


Overall I believe that whilst what J.K Rowling (or any author) writes is the law of the story, the mind should be allowed to wander and you should be able to believe what you want to surrounding the plot and characters.



Where do you sit with this?
Please let me know in the comments.
Holly x

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for commenting! I really appreciate every comment and do my best to provide a response.