Friday, 15 August 2014

Cursed by Jennifer L. Armentrout

CursedDying sucks – and high school senior Ember McWilliams knows firsthand. After a fatal car accident, her gifted little sister brought her back. Now anything Ember touches dies. And that, well, really blows. Ember operates on a no-touch policy with all living things – including boys. 
 When Hayden Cromwell shows up, quoting Oscar Wilde and claiming her curse is a gift, she thinks he’s a crazed cutie. But when he tells her he can help control it, she’s more than interested. There’s just one catch: Ember has to trust Hayden’s adopted father, a man she’s sure has sinister reasons for collecting children with abilities even weirder than hers. 
 But when Ember learns the accident that turned her into a freak may not have been an accident at all, she’s not sure who to trust. Someone wanted her dead, and the closer she gets to the truth, the closer she is to losing not only her heart, but her life. For real this time.

I received this from Hodder and Staughton for review, in no way have my opinions been effected through getting a free copy.

Unfortunately, I don't really have that much to say about this book, simply because I didn't like it. For the first 100 pages this was a page turner, I even tweeted saying how much I was enjoying the book. Fast paced, dramatic and entertaining - at first it seemed perfect, but Cursed turned sour quickly, soon becoming rotten and dull. 

Ember was a very interesting character to read about. After dying and being brought back to life in a car crash, Ember discovers that everything she touches dies, and so she hasn't had any contact with another living thing in 2 years. Additionally, her 5 year old sister, Olivia has powers that completely contrast hers; being able to bring things back to life. If you like things like magic, mind control etc, then this might be the kind of book for you. 

Personally, I strongly disliked Cursed, like I've already said, it was only after the 100 page mark that I began to have problems. The characters weren't well developed - just seemed to be a presence and not a being - this wasn't with just one or two characters either, it was with nearly all of them. 

Another concern that I have was that I didn't feel that this was original in anyway whatsoever. The plot was exceptionally similar to many other stories covering paranormal themes. Also, I wouldn't suggest reading this if you've read Earthbound by Aprilynne Pike, as the plot is almost identical. 

Could have been something great, if it wasn't so unoriginal.
Thank you to Hodder & Staughton once again.
Holly x

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for commenting! I really appreciate every comment and do my best to provide a response.