Friday, 29 August 2014

Pottering On: 1 Year Later



If you've been reading Lost in a Library for a while, which isn't many of you I reckon, then you may remember that this time last year, I did a post on Finishing Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. On the 26th August 2013, I finished the final Harry Potter book. I know the day of the week, the date, the time, the time I arrived at the epilogue etc. And finishing a series that I treasure so much, meant a lot to me. It's now been a year, and I feel like I just want to talk about it a bit.

For me, I'm a film Potterhead, which sounds stupid, but I was introduced to Harry Potter, via the final film. May or may not have mentioned it before, but the way I became obsessed with Harry Potter was that when the final film came into the cinemas, it was the only one I'd ever been old enough to see in the cinema, so for me that was a big thing. I watched it, loved it, and then slowly through the Hermione Granger Wikia, learnt everything I needed to know about Harry Potter from Chamber of Secrets to Deathly Hallows. Immediately I was fascinated and by October 2011, I'd bought the first two books.

As a slow reader, it took me nearly 2 years to read the Harry Potter series. Since then my reading pace has sped up and I reckon that nowadays, it would only take me a few weeks to get through all 7 books. But those 7 books took up a good portion of my life if you think about it. Techically, I spent 1/7 of my life reading those books, and I loved that 1/7.

The main thing I wanted to talk about here is that, although it is kind of coming across as rambling, time doesn't change how much you love a book. Harry Potter got me through the two worst years of my life so far, and it's my idea of escapism. My love for Harry Potter hasn't changed just because I've not read the books for what is now 1 year and 3 days. If anything, my love for these books and these films has just grown and expanded with time. 

Harry Potter has given me life when I've felt lifeless, and has made me do things that I NEVER would have done e.g. I can guarantee that there's no way that I'd be typing this and talking to you now if I hadn't read Harry Potter. Often I'm asked if I'll ever grow out of being a Potterhead. My answer to that is that I'll continue to grow into it, I'll always be a Harry Potter fan.

Always.

Holly x

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for commenting! I really appreciate every comment and do my best to provide a response.