Friday, 5 September 2014

We Were Liars by E Lockhart

We Were LiarsWe are the Liars. 

We are beautiful, privileged and live a life of carefree luxury. 

We are cracked and broken. 

A story of love and romance. 

A tale of tragedy. 

Which are lies? 

 Which is truth?

Now I understand why people nagged me to read this.


Due to the nature of this book, it is very hard to write this without containing spoilers, so whilst spoilers will be highlighted, read them at your own risk.



We Were Liars was phenomenal, and will stick with me for an incredibly long time. It is the type of book where as soon as you get to that final page, you immediately want to read it all over again. In the most unusual sense, this book is like a drug. Once you start reading, it becomes addictive. 



Being rather vague surrounding the plot, We Were Liars follows Cadence, a 17 year old girl from the Sinclair family - a wealthy family who every summer holiday on their private island. She along with her cousins Johnny, Mirren, and friend Gat, form a close friendship and are known by the Sinclairs as "The Liars". And that's all I can tell you.



One thing I loved was the mysterious air that this book had. Seeing through Cadence's eyes, you are constantly kept out of the loop, meaning that you just want to read on to try and find out what exactly is being hidden from you. As I said before, it quite literally was addictive. The characters are also excellent, as whilst they aren't neccessarily well developed, I love how Cadence only told you a few words about them e.g. "Mirren was sugar and rain." and that was pretty much all you needed to know. These are the types of characters where you don't care about them at all, until the very end.



However, I know it's kind of impossible to avoid, and I probably wouldn't have picked the book up if I didn't know about this, but it would be such a better book if in the hype the twist wasn't discussed. Knowing that there is a twist, I went into this book scouring every page for clues, and all I could think about was wanting to know what the turn in events was.



Whilst I loved the book for good reasons, things have happened since that have made me want to distance myself from the book - by things I mean things related to this book. We Were Liars had the most bizarre psychological effect on me. 15 hours after finishing this book, I still couldn't stop thinking about it. It sounds so stupid but this book messed with my head so much that I couldn't sleep or think straight. I was paranoid. Even the next day confusion just consumed my mind. We Were Liars was quite literally mind-boggling. Obviously, this is just the effect it had on me but I'd suggest being prepared to be very confused after finishing this.



Addictive, beautiful, and twisted.



Holly x

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for commenting! I really appreciate every comment and do my best to provide a response.