Friday, 10 October 2014

To Series or Not to Series


Welcome to my bookshelf - well, a snippet of it at least. This is where as you can see,I keep some of my series (plus my little giraffe - if you didn't know already, giraffes are my favourite animals) - however that form of organisation for these few books was purely coincidental. Looking at this got me thinking about series that I own, and whether I'll finish those unfinished.


Not completing series is a real struggle for me - I crave the sense of closure that you get at the end of a series - finishing that final page. For years I've believed that if you start a series, then you should finish it, - but then I read some of these books and I realised that I'm okay with not crossing the final hurdle.



Divergent by Veronica Roth;

Controversial it may be, the reality is that I'm not a fan of the Divergent Trilogy. Back in December 2013 I read Divergent and loved it - so asked for Insurgent for my birthday. Let's just say that when I read Insurgent this August I  was unimpressed to say the least. Insurgent is nowhere near as fantastic as it's predecessor. Allegiant has had so many mixed reviews; I also know the spoiler that every talks about. Bearing these things in mind, I'm not sure if I have that kind of commitment to the series.  


The Diviners by Libba Bray;

Honestly, until getting this book I wasn't aware that it was going to be part of a series. At 578 pages, this is one brick-like book. And maybe it was only me who felt this, but this book could have been, so, so much shorter. Due to being so long this book started out with love and ended with hate - which is a shame given that I was so excited about reading it. But if every book is going to be filled with such monotony and is going to be so long than there is no way I'm going to continue with the series.


Are there any series that you've started and won't finish?

Holly x

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for commenting! I really appreciate every comment and do my best to provide a response.