Friday, 16 January 2015

2014 End of Year Book Survey


reading-stats-2014

Number Of Books You Read: 92
Number of Re-Reads: 1
Genre You Read The Most From: Contemporary

 best-YA-books-2014

1. Best Book You Read In 2014?

(If you have to cheat — you can break it down by genre if you want or 2013 release vs. backlist)
Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell. I'll talk about it more in by Book of the Year review, but it is by far one of my favourite if not my favourite book of all time.

2. Book You Were Excited About & Thought You Were Going To Love More But Didn’t?

Earthquake by Aprilynne Pike. It's predecessor Earthbound was one of the best books I read in 2013 and so I couldn't wait for the sequel, and it was just a bit of a pointless read. It had been implied that this book was going to provide so much progression, and it just went off the rails.

 3. Most surprising (in a good way or bad way) book you read in 2014? 

Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins. If you've seen my review then you'll know that this isn't my kind of book, and I thought it would be just fluffy and pretentious and everything that I disliked at the time. But it was amazing, and has changed my views on a lot of YA fiction.

 4. Book You “Pushed” The Most People To Read (And They Did) In 2014?

I try not to push people into reading books as often it can put people off them. Last month my friend Gabrielle and I were in Waterstones and she spotted This Song Will Save Your Life by Leila Sales. Having read it myself I lent it to her and she loved it. 

 5. Best series you started in 2014? Best Sequel of 2014? Best Series Ender of 2014?

I've mentioned this already but the Anna and the French Kiss companion novel series was the best series, and series ender of 2014. I just love them all so much.
However for best sequel - Where She Went by Gayle Forman really stands out in my mind. It was just SO much better than If I Stay and satifyingly completed the duology.

 6. Favourite new author you discovered in 2014?

Eleanor and Park is the first book I'd read by Rainbow Rowell in December 2013, but it was only when I read Fangirl in February, that she was a new favourite author of mine. Honestly, I will more than happily read anything that she writes.

7. Best book from a genre you don’t typically read/was out of your comfort zone?

Due to mainly reading YA, I don't often pick up adult fiction, especially not Chick-lit. And I kind of feel ashamed that I've read something of said genre, because I told myself I didn't ever want to, but You're the One that I Want by Giovanna Fletcher was phenomenal. It also crushed my soul so before I start rambling let's move on...

 8. Most action-packed/thrilling/unputdownable book of the year?

We Were Liars by E Lockhart is one of the best books I've read all year. One of the beautiful things about We Were Liars was that because we all knew it had a twist at the end, if you stopped reading, you would start theorising, which wasn't great because this had the potential to spoil the book. I read this over the course of two days, and the writing became addictive.

 9. Book You Read In 2014 That You Are Most Likely To Re-Read Next Year?

At the time of reading this, I wasn't too phased by it, but Since You've Been Gone by Morgan Matson was a truly brilliant book that I don't think I paid enough attention to when reading. So right now I'm pretty sure that this will be one of Summer 2015's re-reads.

10. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2014?


SO PRETTY.....

11. Most memorable character of 2014?

Cather Avery from Fangirl. This is probably because she reminded me of myself and was so easy to relate to that Cath just stuck in my mind. 

 12. Most beautifully written book read in 2014?

Again, as to not become repetitive, I'm going to choose something I've not mentioned before - Everything Leads to You by Nina LaCour. It wasn't perfect but the writing brought everything (plot, characters, etc) together perfectly.
We Were Liars is also for the same reason.

13. Most Thought-Provoking/ Life-Changing Book of 2014?

It wasn't neccessarily life changing, but Delirium by Lauren Oliver really made me think carefully. Delirium is set in a world were love is considered a disease and that concept is such an interesting and thought-provoking one that I couldn't put the book down.

 14. Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2014 to finally read? 

I cannot BELIEVE that Ketchup Clouds took me so long to get around to. This was my first book of the year and after sitting in a bag of exercise books for months (God knows why), it was really impressive and set the bar high for the next book I read.

 15. Favorite Passage/Quote From A Book You Read In 2014?

“I found it ironic that I should be blessed with wings and yet feel so constrained, so trapped. It was because of my condition, I believe, that I noticed life's ironies a bit more often than the average person. I collected them: how love arrived when you least expected it, how someone who said he didn't want to hurt you eventually would.” Strange and Beautiful Sorrows of Ava Lavender.

16.Shortest & Longest Book You Read In 2013?

Shortest: Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them by J.K Rowling (123 pages)
Longest: Afterworlds by Scott Westerfeld (600 pages)

17. Book That Shocked You The Most

(Because of a plot twist, character death, left you hanging with your mouth wide open, etc.)
The twist in We Were Liars. I don't get shocked by books very often, and I had an idea of what may happen but I was really wrong. This also lead to the weird reaction of paranoia.

18. OTP OF THE YEAR (you will go down with this ship!)

(OTP = one true pairing if you aren’t familiar)
CATH AND LEVI (FANGIRL) 

19. Favorite Non-Romantic Relationship Of The Year

This is becoming difficult as I'm trying to not become too repetitive and therefore choosing answers from that aren't always the best of the best. I love the relationship between Evie and her family in The Bone Dragon by Alexia Casale, but I feel you need to read the book to understand this.

20. Favorite Book You Read in 2014 From An Author You’ve Read Previously

Again, Fangirl, because it is A) My favourite book of the year, and B) I'd already read Eleanor and Park.

21. Best Book You Read In 2014 That You Read Based SOLELY On A Recommendation From Somebody Else/Peer Pressure:

We Were Liars by E. Lockhart. Everybody was raving over this and I NEEDED to know what was happening - needless to say it was incredible.

22. Newest fictional crush from a book you read in 2014?

I have a few: 
Neil from Landline (HE'S DESCRIBED AS MARTIN FREEMAN!!!!)
Adam from If I Stay

23. Best 2014 debut you read?

Lies We Tell Ourselves by Robin Talley was just excellent and although there were some amazing debuts this year, this stood out because of the fact that I dislike the genre of Historical Fiction - but this made me want to read more of it. The way Talley combines LGBT and Racism in the 1960's is excellent, and she deserves more praise.

24. Best Worldbuilding/Most Vivid Setting You Read This Year?

Ava Dellaira has this was of describing places in Love Letters to the Dead that means they just seem so real and pure - as if those locations are right in front of you.

25. Book That Put A Smile On Your Face/Was The Most FUN To Read?

  Very vague, I know, but Rainbow Rowell's witty, satirical writing style in Landline made me smile like no other book did.

26. Book That Made You Cry Or Nearly Cry in 2014?

I don't ever cry at books but I had tears in my eyes when I read You're the One that I Want by Giovanna Fletcher. The end just left me going "WHY?" "WHY?"

27. Hidden Gem Of The Year?

The Jewel by Amy Ewing. This is quite a recent release and has not had a lot of attention. The Jewel gripped me from start to finish and I'm certain that the sequel is going to be phenomenal.

28. Book That Crushed Your Soul?

The Strange and Beautiful Sorrows of Ava Lavender by Leslye Walton. It was obvious from the very beginning that something very bad was going to happen, and the book metaphorically choked me. Everything about this book was beautiful and that ending left me in mourning for days. 

29. Most Unique Book You Read In 2014?

Possibly,  The Tragedy Paper by Elizabeth LaBan. Admittedly, I didn't enjoy it in the end but it was in the format of two people boarding in the same room at school one year after the other. The person from the second year is reading a letter from the previous resident - it was such a unique premise, and really worked. 

30. Book That Made You The Most Mad (doesn’t necessarily mean you didn’t like it)?

Repeated from earlier, I know, but Earthquake by Aprilynne Pike made me beyond mad, as it didn't provide the answers I had been waiting a year for from Earthbound. I'll continue with the series, but I was very much disappointed with book 2.

book-blogging


1. New favourite book blog you discovered in 2014? 

Weaving Pages is Rita's book blog, and I try and read every post possible. Rita has brought so many thought provoking points to my attention and... I just love her blog.

2. Favourite review that you wrote in 2014? 

I'm particularly proud of my review of Lies We Tell Ourselves by Robin Talley.

3. Best discussion/non-review post you had on your blog?

One single post cannot be defined as the best here:
The J.K Rowling Law - In which I discussed the point "Is what J.K Rowling writes Potter-Law, or can it be interpreted by fans too?"
This is a Book Blog - Where I was honest about why I didn't feel like I was part of this community.
Judging Books by Their Covers 

4. Best event that you participated in (author signings, festivals, virtual events, memes, etc.)?

I started the #TBSecretSanta in November among a small group of book bloggers which went really well.
I was also the Abnegation Leader, with my faction coming second to Candor in Cat and Rachel's Divergent Week.

5. Best moment of bookish/blogging life in 2014?


7. Most Popular Post This Year On Your Blog (whether it be by comments or views)?

8. Post You Wished Got A Little More Love?

9. Best bookish discovery (book related sites, book stores, etc.)?

Booktube! I'd never heard of booktubers until 2014, and I've found so many recommendations, and discussion points through that that I wouldn't have found anywhere else.

10.  Did you complete any reading challenges or goals that you had set for yourself at the beginning of this year?

Being a VERY slow reader, I set myself a goodreads challenge of reading 20 books this year. As it currently stands, I have read 90 books. So I definitely exceeded my original plan.


looking-ahead-books-2015


1. One Book You Didn't Get To In 2014 But Will Be Your Number 1 Priority in 2015?

Ask the Passengers by A.S. King is a book that I've wanted to read since October 2013, and told myself I'd buy it this year. That didn't happen, but I did get it for Christmas from my Dad and so at some point soon, I shall be reading this.

2. Book You Are Most Anticipating For 2015 (non-debut)?

CARRY ON by Rainbow Rowell!!!!!!!!!!!!
IT'S A SIMON SNOW STORY NEED I SAY MORE?!?!?

3. 2015 Debut You Are Most Anticipating?

This cannot be narrowed down, but my top 2 are My Heart and Other Black Holes by Jasmine Werga, and Made You Up by Francesca Zappia.

 4. Series Ending/A Sequel You Are Most Anticipating in 2015?

The White Rose by Amy Ewing - the sequel to The Jewel. I need this book right now....

5. One Thing You Hope To Accomplish Or Do In Your Reading/Blogging Life In 2015?

Maybe make this blog a little more popular? Popularity isn't everything but it is very quiet here on Lost in a Library.

6. A 2015 Release You’ve Already Read & Recommend To Everyone:

So far I've only read one 2015 release and that is Me and Mr J by Rachel McIntyre. This is not released until February but urge you to pick it up upon it's publication.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for commenting! I really appreciate every comment and do my best to provide a response.