Wednesday, 18 February 2015

Can't Look Away by Donna Cooner

Can't Look Away
There's no hiding in the spotlight. Torrey Grey is famous - at least, she is on the internet. Thousands of people watch her beauty vlog for tips on how to be popular and pretty. But when Torrey's sister is killed in an accident her world implodes, especially as she feels partly to blame. And that's when the trolling starts...How can Torrey mourn her sister in private, when her bubbly public persona is all over the web? Then she meets Luis, whose family owns the local funeral home, and he challenges all that Torrey thought she knew about love, life, and loss.

Thank you to Electric Monkey at Egmont for kindly sending this to me for review.


A lot of people have really liked this. I've seen my friends' reviews about how they felt this was incredible and amazing. Unfortunately I'm not one of these people.



Can't Look Away is about YouTuber Torrey who in the midst of filming one of her videos, her younger sister was killed in a hit and run. The story follows how she learns to settle in away from everything she's ever known when her family move states.



The reality is that I don't think I have anything positive to say about this book and so I'm just going to dive straight in with what was wrong with it.

My main problem with Can't Look Away was the great difference between what is said it would focus on, and what the book actually did discuss. From what I understood the main themes were how Torrey is struggling with the hate she is getting due to her involvement in her sister's death, and how she was trying to rebuild her presence online. 


Contrary to my beliefs, it seemed that all this book was really about was lust and flirtation between Torrey and Luis. Additionally, I was really bothered by what this book said about grief, popularity, and love. A) Torrey acted like it wasn't alright to grieve and that it was better to move onto whatever was next on the agenda. B) Reading this from Torrey's perspective showed me how she thought that popularity was everything. There were lines like "I was IT at my old school, and now I'm so unpopular," C) Thirdly, and this is similar to B, but again Torrey acted like flirtation and the status of having a boyfriend was more important than allowing herself to accept her sister's death. 



This is a rather short review, I know, but there is so much that I disagree with in this book that we could be here forever, so be grateful that this is rather brief in comparison. 


Holly x

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for commenting! I really appreciate every comment and do my best to provide a response.