Saturday, 14 February 2015

January Book Haul



It's been a pretty good month in the world of Holly's book buying. By that I mean I didn't buy to many like I have in some previous months. After last months huge birthday/Christmas haul, I managed to restrain myself to only buying 4 books this month. The first 2 of these came from a 2nd of January trip to George where there were loads of books on a 2 for £7 offer. Although the majority were titles I'd never heard of, The Miniaturist by Jessie Burton and The Year of the Rat by Claire Furniss were two books that I'd been waiting to go into paperback. If you see my tiny reviews of these on Goodreads, then you'll know that I loved The Year of the Rat, but really disliked The Miniaturist so that will probably be being passed on to someone else soon.

The other two books that I bought myself were much later in the month, and with some Christmas money, I bought Scarlet by Marissa Meyer and Firecracker by David Iserson. In the midst of a reading slump, I knew that these were the only two books that would get me back into reading and after reading Cinder by Marissa Meyer, I had to get the spectacular sequel in this Sci-fi fairy tale retelling series. Firecracker appears to be one of those books that not many people have heard of, and I heard about it from Emily at the Blue Eyed Bibliophile ages ago in one of her hauls. David Iserson is a writer for New Girl (which I love) and Saturday Night Live which I've only watched clips of but seems great.

This is an extra add on (31st January) as although I was trying to not buy anymore books this month, there was one book I couldn't pass up when browsing local charity shops - Where Rainbow's End by Cecelia Ahern. Due to the film release there have been title and cover changes and I was trying to find a half decent cover for my copy, and I finally found it. 

Books #5 and #6 in this haul are belated Christmas presents from my Dad. Back in December he'd told me I could make an Amazon order of books that I wanted as part of my present - one arrived in time for Christmas, but the others didn't. So although I'm still waiting for one that was out of stock, Everybody Sees the Ants and Ask the Passengers, both by A.S. King came into my possession this month. I've wanted to read Ask the Passengers for nearly 3 years now so it's great to finally own a copy!

Finally, Electric Monkey very kindly sent me a copy of the newly redesigned Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein on 30th January (so, today as I'm scheduling this!). I watched the postman try and get this through the letterbox from inside the house and it was hilarious. They also included a copy of there previews of 2015 publications - I've never received anything like this before and so it was really exciting. Okay, I need to calm down.

Have you read any of these books?

Holly x

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for commenting! I really appreciate every comment and do my best to provide a response.