Monday, 6 April 2015

Gayle Forman Event March 2015


Due to the release of her latest novel, I Was Here, Gayle Forman was touring the UK in March. She was visiting London, Liverpool, Milton Keynes, Birmingham, and Manchester, and so on the 8th of March, I attended her talk and signing at Waterstones Deansgate. Usually when author's I've read tour the UK they never come to Manchester (even though it has one of the biggest bookshops in the country) and so it was really exciting to be doing something different with my Sunday.


Something pretty different was done in the talk, in which Gayle decided to interview herself. There were two seats set up and as she was the questioner and answerer, she would go back and forth between the seats, putting on an attempt at an English accent when asking the questions. She wanted her interviewer to be named by the audience and asked "What's a Mancunian name that we could call him?" Of all the things that could have been said, someone chose Bob.


Gayle also did a dramatic reading of a few pages from I Was Here with one of the Booksellers and somebody's Dad, which is one of the funniest things I have ever seen. And although I didn't ask any questions myself, I feel like I learnt so much about writing and publishing. For example; her advice to young writers was to just write whatever you want, because it might seem like nothing at first but soon you may turn around and actually realise its potential. This was described as chopping down a tree and then trying to develop the saplings that have grown.

I had been sat on the second row from the front and it turns out that if your at the front for the talk, you're probably at the back of the queue for the signing. This would have been a very long 50 minutes (!) had I not met Bekka and Sahil. They were sat on the row behind me and I plucked up the courage to turn around and talk to them before the talk started (bravo, throwing yourself in the deep end, Holly). They were both lovely and made the long queue seem a lot shorter. Gayle Forman was so sweet and funny. The fact that she looked at me and went "I love your name" made me smile. If you ever get the chance to meet her... do it!

Holly x

4 comments:

  1. I'm glad you had a great time meeting Gayle Forman, Holly! I've not read one of her books yet but I may pick one up one day out of pure curiosity... ;D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rachel! I know you've said that you're not a huge fan of contemporary, and if you want books that aren't so fluffy and are quite deep, then her books are great reads :D

      Delete
  2. This sounds like such an amazing event! :)

    Carolyn x
    Carolyn’s Simple Life

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It definitely was!
      Thanks for commenting x

      Delete

Thank you so much for commenting! I really appreciate every comment and do my best to provide a response.