Saturday, 26 September 2015

Graphically Speaking: Not a John Green Fan.


I don't like John Green's writing. I do not like his books.

This sounds like a very ironic thing to say given that for many personal reasons The Fault in Our Stars is one of my favourite books, and one of my favourite films too. But the fact is that only really appreciating 1 book out of his five means that I just don't have the same respect for him as many other people do.

Green's novels are exceptionally samey - with the exception of TFiOS. Here I'd like to show why.




So now that I've read 3 of John Green's books, I've decided that his writing really isn't for me. The idea of a crazy girl needing to be saved by a boy who is feeling pretty lost is repetitive and samey and I don't understand how people can go on and think that this books are completely flawless. But the fact is that there is too much focus on how "brilliant his books are". I've heard multiple people saying "His books cannot be rated any lower than 5 stars". THEY HAVE FLAWS. THEY'RE NOT PERFECT. NO BOOK IS. 

Graphically speaking, I don't like John Green's books. Like many authors, he is not a God.

Holly x

6 comments:

  1. This is pretty spot on, I totally agree with your points in this post! (Paper Towns was crap, it took me three times to actually finish it! I only read it because my friend recommended it to me, and I didn't want to seem rude by not finishing it for her. Worst mistake I have ever made in the bookish world...Well, apart from reading The Maze Runner and The Scorch Trails. *awkward laughter*) I think that the only book I like that was written by John Green is The Fault In Our Stars, but his other books seriously need to be edited/ redrafted a bit better. And I totally agree with you when you say that no book is perfect, even though there might be five star books that are bestsellers and thousands of people love reading that particular novel, there are going to be people who disliked that book- because of the flaws or the writing style. From the people that I know who love reading John Green's novels, they think that I am absurd from disliking *cough* hating *cough* some of his books. Everyone has different opinions, likes and dislikes, but with this author's novels, it's like it is a crime if you're not a fan of him. I also find that some of John's books are quite repetitive, and that has bored me as well. (When I read An Abundance of Katherines, I just wanted to burn that book- then send it to hell. It was terrible.) Sure, in some aspects John Green is a brilliant writer who has written some stories that are poignant, but that doesn't necessarily mean that he is a good writer that is loved by millions. The fact of the matter is writing styles that people will love, or hate. This was a lovely- and insightful- post to read, thank you for uploading it, my fellow unicorn!

    Gee! x
    PS: Sorry for the long comment, as an apology, please accept Killian as a cookie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment is wonderful- Thank you Gee!

      Delete
  2. I completely agree. Although I hate all of his books. His characters are all the same, and very pretentious. lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think ANY authors are god, tbh. And even my favourite authors usually have something in their books that I'm not a fan of. Like recently I read the Tithe series by Holly Black and I'M CRYING RIGHT NOW because before this I'd given all her books 5-stars! And then...2-stars?!?! WUT. So not every book is for everyone and I'm okay with that. :P (Although Maggie Stiefvater has never disappointed me yet. XDXD) I do love John Green's books, but I agree they're very similar. I particularly think Q and Miles are like THE SAME person.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree. I liked The fault in our stars, but Paper Towns and Looking for Alaska felt pretty identical. And not in a good way (is there a good way??). I didn't like the characters in either books, and just... I didn't like them.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting! I really appreciate every comment and do my best to provide a response.