Monday, 19 October 2015

Five Stars Doesn't Mean Favourite



Just because you give a book 5/5 stars, by no means does it have to automatically be a favourite. It may just be an exceptionally good book. I have a big problem with this, and perhaps this is because people assume that it is a favourite, but the reality is that the book could just be an incredibly good read.

Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell: My favourite book. I gave this five stars, but if I could have given it more then I absolutely would. For me, Fangirl spoke to me in a way that no other book ever had, because Cath is me. This is more like 100000/5

Every Day by David Levithan: A truly genius and thought provoking book. Again, I gave this 5/5 stars. Every Day is such an original, heartbreaking, and fantastic novel. And I have gained so much appreciation for life from it, but it's definitely not a favourite of mine.

A favourite exceeds the rating scale. A favourite takes your breath away and you remain breathless. A favourite is tattooed on the surface of your brain, unable to be scrubbed away. A favourite leaves a permanent mark. 

Books that I've rated 5 stars, but are not favourites: 
The Great Gatsby, We Were Liars, Lies We Tell Ourselves, Love Letters to the Dead, Between Shades of Gray, Love Aubrey, Lola and the Boy Next Door, Finding Cherokee Brown. 

These were all amazing, but none of them are books that if someone asked me what my favourite books were...none of these would spring to mind.

Of course, any 5 star book has the power to metaphorically blow you away, and but there are some that you will shout about from the rooftops and recommend to every human being. Those are the favourites. And they're on their own level of wonderful.

Holly x

8 comments:

  1. I guess everyone just rates books differently. :) For me if it's not going to be a favorite, then I won't rate it 5 stars. For me 5 stars means the best of the best. Not that 4 stars isn't good, it is.
    But this is cool! Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

    whimsywriter3.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Each to their own :) I completely understand why you choose to do it that way though.

      Delete
  2. Oh oh I totally agree! I even have a Goodreads shelf for "favourites" and a separate one for "5-stars" because THEY ARE NOT NECESSARILY THE SAME!! Although I have fallen into a bit of a pit of only rating "favouritish" books 5-stars...when I really just need to rate books I really liked and enjoyed and thought were great those 5-stars. I USED TO. But I'm getting picky in my old age. xD

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've done that too, some books deserve 6 stars xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel this so much. Sometimes you can't deny a book is great, but it's not going to be on my top 5 of 2015, because it's just not a favourite!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so true, I have lots of books that I love but are not my favourite.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting! I really appreciate every comment and do my best to provide a response.