Saturday, 24 October 2015

Nimona by Noelle Stevenson


NimonaNimona is an impulsive young shapeshifter with a knack for villainy. Lord Ballister Blackheart is a villain with a vendetta. As sidekick and supervillain, Nimona and Lord Blackheart are about to wreak some serious havoc. Their mission: prove to the kingdom that Sir Ambrosius Goldenloin and his buddies at the Institution of Law Enforcement and Heroics aren't the heroes everyone thinks they are. But as small acts of mischief escalate into a vicious battle, Lord Blackheart realizes that Nimona's powers are as murky and mysterious as her past. And her unpredictable wild side might be more dangerous than he is willing to admit.

Nimona is all kinds of wonderful. Imagine you wake up inside a kaleidoscope. Everything is dark, but as soon as you open your eyes, you see everything. You see all the colours. The light from the outside world is streaming through the tinted glass and the colours dance around you with calm chaos. That's Nimona. All the colours at once.


This was the first graphic novel I'd ever read and I fell in love with it on the first page. This was absorbed, loved and felt in one sitting, and at the end I was somewhat speechless.



The diversity in Nimona was truly fantastic. I loved how Nimona wasn't stick thin. She wasn't fat, but by no means was she the typical thin girl we constantly see represented in fiction. Ironic as it sounds, whilst this is fantasy, if anything, this made Nimona seem more realistic. Also, and I don't think this is a spoiler but I love the fact that it was never verbally said that Ballister was Gay. It emphasizes the fact that we shouldn't have to be labelled. It was quietly and subtly hinted at in such a beautiful way.



The relationship between Nimona and Ballister Blackheart is touching and ridiculously sweet. It's one of those unlikely friendships that works so well. It's nice to see how the villan and his sidekick in this world are really hugely complex characters with such endearing personalities.



The book is extremely funny, I found myself constantly laughing out loud. What I liked especially was how there were running jokes throughout the 250 pages, something which I've not really seen in fiction before. But then there are also darker points, that are so moving and sad in their explanations of the characters' past. You grow to love Ballister, Nimona, and Goldenloin, and well, everything else too!


GO AND READ THIS!




Holly x

6 comments:

  1. though graphic novels are not my preferred genre l was very interested to read your thoughts

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been wanting to read this forever and now I just want to read it even more omg

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a good relaxing fun book

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for this review - good luck with your blogging

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting! I really appreciate every comment and do my best to provide a response.