Monday, 5 October 2015

You're the One that I Want by Giovanna Fletcher


Image result for you're the one that i want giovannaMaddy, dressed in white, stands at the back of the church. At the end of the aisle is Rob - the man she's about to marry. Next to Rob is Ben - best man and the best friend any two people ever had. And that's the problem. Because if it wasn't Rob waiting for her at the altar, there's a strong chance it would be Ben. Loyal and sensitive Ben has always kept his feelings to himself, but if he turned round and told Maddy she was making a mistake, would she listen? And would he be right? Best friends since childhood, Maddy, Ben and Rob thought their bond was unbreakable. But love changes everything. Maddy has a choice to make but will she choose wisely? Her heart, and the hearts of the two best men she knows, depend on it...

When I read this back in November 2014, straight after I logged into Goodreads and in the review section for this book wrote the following:

"My emotions are playing tricks with me right now. Every time I think of this book I want to cry and smile and laugh and just read it all over again. It's going to take a while to get over this..."

You're the One That I Want is about Maddy, Rob, and Ben; 3 friends who since the age of 5, have spent there entire lives together. Maddy is about to marry Rob, but there is a past that could stop her going through with it. I never read Chick-lit, and so the only reason I read this is because Giovanna is Tom Fletcher from McFly's wife. Also, if I had read Billy and Me first (which I didn't like) I would have never read this - which was one of my favourite reads of 2014.

I still stand by the italic statement above, as I feel like I will never get over what happened in this book. And i have a feeling that this is going to be a difficult review to write, because it completely broke my heart. The way that we saw the three characters grow up, we see them from age 5 up until their mid thirties, and the development of Maddy, Rob and Ben was phenomenal. We discover their feelings as they discover their feelings - which makes sense in my head. Everything felt live, and as if I grew up a little bit over the course of my reading experience along with the characters.

From the start, I rooted for Ben. I found myself shipping Maddy and Ben together, in spite of the fact that from the very start Maddy is going to at least get engaged to Rob. Ben was my kind of person, quiet and sensitive, where as Rob was the most popular boy in school. Maddy was easily swayed, and all the characters did stupid things at times, in particular Rob. Another reason why the book temporarily destroyed me.

If I never read another Chick-lit book again, then I'll be fine with that, because You're the One that I Want was perfect.
Holly x

3 comments:

  1. AHHH I LOVE THIS BOOK SO MUCH! I also rooted for Ben for the start: there's something about the way Gi writes, which is just so girly and absorbing, and just what you need on cold nights! Brilliant review, Holly :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See, I hated Billy & Me, but this was just exceptionally good :) Thanks Orli! x

      Delete
  2. I'm tempted to read this for two reasons: I've just waded through three Arthur Conan Doyle books and I feel like I deserve some chick lit as brain candy! Also, I love to see Giovanna's pictures of her cute family on Twitter so it would be nice to read her book.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting! I really appreciate every comment and do my best to provide a response.