Friday, 27 November 2015

My Life Next Door:: REVIEW


My Life Next DoorThe Garretts are everything the Reeds are not. Loud, messy, affectionate. And every day from her rooftop perch, Samantha Reed wishes she was one of them... until one summer evening, Jase Garrett climbs up next to her and changes everything. 
As the two fall fiercely for each other, stumbling through the awkwardness and awesomeness of first love, Jase's family embraces Samantha - even as she keeps him a secret from her own.Then something unthinkable happens, and the bottom drops out of Samantha's world. She's suddenly faced with an impossible decision. Which perfect family will save her? Or is it time she saved herself?

Truth be told, has been a very long time since I read this book. I read My Life Next Door in June 2014, but then happened to received a surprise review copy from Electric Monkey too.

This probably won't be great, because I didn't write a Goodreads review at the time, and I can't remember half of what happened. But I still have a few things I need to say about this interesting and insightful read.

Like with every book, there were positives and negatives here. Whilst I enjoyed this, My Life Next Door is very long for a contemporary. I love contemporary fiction, but this became dragged out, especially towards the final quarter of the story. Samantha's friends and the relationships between her friends were left unexplained and vague, so when things turn dramatic towards the end, their actions made no sense, but still, I struggled to ever really warm to, or understand Nan and Tim. 

With it's family centric themes, My Life Next Door is perfect for fans of Gayle Forman. I loved how Huntley Fitzpatrick managed to show the stark contrast between the hostile relationships in Samantha's family, with her mother only concerned with her political job and her obsessive cleaning, and then Jase's family, bursting with life and in spite of the parents having 8 (EIGHT!) kids, they manage to keep everything under control and enjoy their lives. Samantha and Jase's relationship was slow burning, originally a friendship (although, let's be real, it's so obvious it's going to end up romantic), and this I've never seen a YA book that deals with sex so well before. The topic was covered in a way that was responsible and in a way that so many YA books have missed. 

My Life Next Door is released in the UK on January 7th 2016. Thank you once again to Electric Monkey for sending me a proof copy to review.


Holly x

1 comment:

  1. I've seen a lot of good things about this, so I requested it from Netgalley. I'm really excited to read it - I'm glad you were able to find the positives in it! Hopefully I'll really enjoy it!

    Thank-you for this review, Holly ♥
    Denise | The Bibliolater

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting! I really appreciate every comment and do my best to provide a response.