Wednesday, 27 January 2016

Winter by Marissa Meyer [Lunar Reviews]

Winter (The Lunar Chronicles, #4)Winter despises her stepmother, and knows Levana won't approve of her feelings for her childhood friend - the handsome palace guard, Jacin. But Winter isn't as weak as Levana believes her to be and she's been undermining her stepmother's wishes for years. Together with the cyborg mechanic, Cinder, and her allies, Winter might even have the power to launch a revolution and win a war that's been raging for far too long.
If you've not read Winter, DO NOT READ THIS REVIEW

Stars Above, now THAT is how you end a series.
I'll admit I was terrified for Winter's release. Marissa Meyer had admitted before now that she wasn't scared of killing off characters - and that in itself is something that kept running through my mind as I turned each page. But Meyer was straight to the point and was frankly, successful where so many YA series have failed (Requiem by Lauren Oliver, Allegiant by Veronica Roth, to name a couple). 

Admittedly, there were moments that I wasn't too happy with, but those were completely outweighed by a massive realisation. The Lunar Chronicles is probably, possibly, after Harry Potter, my favourite series. The fairy tales, the plots, the futuristic twists. I adore it all. I've fallen in love with this world and it's characters. 

Winter was so long. At first that was daunting, but nothing felt unnecessary for the wrap up of a Lunar Revolution.  In an instant you are thrown into the politics and courts of Luna, and directly into the icy palms of Queen Levana. From the beginning, the darkness of Winter's situation, and of the Rampion crew's is clear; and it only ever gets darker. The constant twists and turns found within the pages of this giant are perfect for any Lunartic. 

Winter herself is delightfully charming. Whilst expressing an innocence of a young child, she is twisted and slowly going insane out of not using her Glamour. She is quietly extraordinary - a face of resillience and determination whilst trapped in Levana's snow globe of a planet. Constantly shaken up. Her talks of the "Palace being in pain" because "the walls are bleeding," along with her many hallucinations or turning into ice cause heartbreak and yet even more admiration in my eyes for such a beautiful character.

Going into this, I was concerned about how Winter would tie in with Snow White, my favourite fairy tale. Firstly, the apple on the cover isn't red. Something so minor that irritated me to no end. Upon reaching the part involving the apple though, my opinion changed as it makes total sense. I adored the twists and turns this took from all the different versions of Snow White. Subtle hints of Brothers Grimm's gloomy original, and of the light Disney interpretation flickered throughout the book. For example; Jacin was both the Huntsman AND the prince - a truly lovely if horrific twist, as his undying love for Winter just showed even more.

I think I need to move onto the others:
Cinder & Kai: Little of their relationship was in this book, much to my disappointment. But what we did see of them was truly charming. Their relationship came full circle and it's nice to think that they have a future together.

Scarlet & Wolf: My biggest prediction was that one of these two, particularly Wolf was going to die. That might have been wishful thinking, as I can't stand either of these characters. I will never stop finding it hard to comprehend Little Red Riding Hood, and the WOLF falling in love. It just doesn't sit well with me, thank you very much. Nevertheless, in Winter, it really worked. 

Cress & Thorne: After Ron & Hermione, Cress & Thorne are my OTP. I LOVE THEM TO LUNA AND BACK. I spent the first 600 pages of this book waiting for them to get together AND THEN THEY DID, and I was crying out of happiness for them, which tells you something... But then the whole Cress being stabbed by Thorne under manipulation thing transpired and that was terrifying. I was so scared for them I nearly threw up. Their ending was beautiful, and I don't think I'll ever stop feeling grateful to Marissa Meyer for that conclusion.

Overall. I'm gutted that this is over. This series could go on and on and on and I'd be perfectly happy to read each book. I want to know what happens to these characters. Like do Cress & Thorne get married and travel the world together? Does Cinder marry Kai and become Empress of the Commonwealth? I guess I'll just end up resigning myself to fanfiction.net or something. I'm so grateful for this series, and I can assure you, these books will be reread and well loved for a very, very long time.


Holly x

2 comments:

  1. So glad you loved this as much as I did! I completely agree with everything you've said - it is such a great conclusion to the series. Thanks for sharing and, as always, fabulous review! ♥

    ~ Zoe @ Stories on Stage

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was amazing wasn't it? Thanks Zoe!

      Delete

Thank you so much for commenting! I really appreciate every comment and do my best to provide a response.