Thursday, 4 February 2016

Fantastic Beasts & Where To Find Them:: Theorising


At the time of writing this (December 2015), the first trailer for Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them has just been released - like, 5 hours ago. I dropped everything to watch it as soon as it came out - and now, I just have a lot of ideas that I need to talk about.

- The Plot Premise: So, right now, the premise we have is that Newt Scammander (played by the wonderful Eddie Redmayne) has arrived in New York, and beasts and creatures from the Wizarding World have escaped from the suitcase Newt was carrying them in. This seems like a pretty interesting plot - but the main question I have is how is this going to carry over a trilogy of films?  Obviously there is going to be the search for these magical creatures, but is that really going to take three films? The more Potter films, the merrier, but they need to have enough substance to be convincing and appealing to a fan-based audience. 

- The Casting: The only real characters that feature in this first trailer are Newt and Porpentina Goldstein; played by Eddie Redmayne and Katherine Waterson. Aside from these two characters, every other character is new for this film. As are a lot of the cast. For me at least, I've only heard of the above, Ezra Miller, Colin Farrell, and Jon Voight. There are so many unknown actors, which is wonderful - look how many unknown actors from Harry Potter are huge today! It will be interesting to see what these actors, whose work we are not/less familiar with will bring to the table with their characters.

- The Context: 1926 New York. Aside from glimpses of knowledge of Bulgaria's Durmstang, and France's Beauxbatons Academy, we as fans, readers, viewers, don't know anything about magic around the world. As much as I'll miss Hogwarts, it will be fascinating to learn how magic works in a different country. Apparently muggles are called No-Mags in America, which seems like an odd word choice, but i can't wait to see the differences in the magic system.

- Predictions: Undeniably, there will be some development of the relationship between Newt and Porpentina - as we know they later get married. Perhaps this will be a slow burning romance that spreads and grows across the trilogy (that makes it sound very Romione!). Newt might have some run-ins with the American version of the Ministry of Magic. If he's made the mistake of letting magical beasts and creatures run wild in New York City, then yes, I do deem this as likely. Last but not least, maybe some glances into the future - seeing Luna Lovegoodand Rolf together? Who knows.


What are your thoughts and theories? Let me know in the comments.

Holly x

3 comments:

  1. I meant to comment days ago, but I kept on forgetting to get on my computer to do it. Anyway, I'm sooo excited for Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them, especially since it takes place in America, and as a American, I want to learn more about the American wizarding culture. It will be strange though, with no Hogwarts and all. I am feeling meh about "no-maj", and while I still think "Muggle" is a cooler word, I think it will just take some getting used to. I don't see how I will be able to wait for November, it seems so far away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so right about No-Maj. It just sounds like such a lazy attempt to coin a new phrase. Snape does not approve.

      Delete
  2. I meant to comment days ago, but I kept on forgetting to get on my computer to do it. Anyway, I'm sooo excited for Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them, especially since it takes place in America, and as a American, I want to learn more about the American wizarding culture. It will be strange though, with no Hogwarts and all. I am feeling meh about "no-maj", and while I still think "Muggle" is a cooler word, I think it will just take some getting used to. I don't see how I will be able to wait for November, it seems so far away.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting! I really appreciate every comment and do my best to provide a response.