Thursday, 25 February 2016

REVIEW -- The #1 Rule For Girls

The Number One Rule for GirlsDaisy knows a thing or two about love and romance. She’s surrounded by it – in fact, there’s no escape! Not only are her parents childhood sweethearts turned soulmates, they also run the very successful wedding agency 'Something Borrowed', helping couples to tie the knot in whatever frilly, quirky, tasteful, outrageous way they choose. So it's no surprise that Daisy has a pretty clear vision of how her life with boyfriend Matt is going to pan out. There’s one major flaw in this plan – Matt and Daisy have split up! Determined not to brood, Daisy sets out to re-invent her life and her dreams. And that’s when Toby enters the scene, who appears to be perfect, but is turning all the Rules upside down..."

I find this hard to write because Rachel McIntyre is an extraordinarily good author, and has been very kind to me in the past year. But I wasn't the biggest fan of this book. 

What I loved was the consistent feminist tones, and how the female characters were rising above the positions others' comments and actions tried to put them in. The concept of the rules, specifically "don't change who you are for someone else. They can love you for you, or not at all" was incredibly important and there were many moments, particularly earlier on where I laughed out loud.

Maybe the fault lies with me, and my changing tastes in fiction, or maybe it's because this is just not a topic or theme that I'm particularly interested in. But for the most part, Daisy was stupid. In spite of the situations that Toby threw her into, she continued to date him. In spite of the fact that he abandoned her in a motorway lay-by, she continued to date him. For someone who was 16 nearly 17, she was incredibly immature, and my annoyance at her actions made this difficult reading. 

Despite the rules, 16 year olds were running off with boys who had stalked them, and that just didn't sit right with me. I appreciate what this book is trying to say, but as someone who has read A LOT of YA, at this point, this book didn't speak to me as much as it could have if I was at the start of my journey into YA. I'm 17, and perhaps this would have been a better read if I was 13 or 14, and could be used as direction and advice of what not to do in a relationship. I'd recommend this, just not if you feel the same way as I've expressed here. I'm not saying that this book is bad, I'm saying that it's good, but I'm not the right reader demographic to judge this on. 

Me and Mr J, Rachel's debut, was spectacular, and I'm sure that many people will feel the same about The #1 Rule For Girls, but I'm not the right target audience, and therefore, perhaps didn't appreciate or take as much away from the book as others will.

Thank you so much to Electric Monkey at Egmont for sending me a ARC of this in exchange for an honest review. The #1 Rule For Girls by Rachel McIntyre is released on February 25th - so go and buy a copy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for commenting! I really appreciate every comment and do my best to provide a response.