Wednesday, 15 June 2016

Summer TBR: 2016 Edition



Summer is finally here [well, actually, at the time of writing this I'm still uncertain as to when my summer break begins.] With Summer comes plenty of free time, ergo, hours upon hours of reading. Following on from leaving school last year I posted a summer TBR, but this year will be a little different. Whilst I have finished all of my AS Level exams, I need to start preparing for writing my personal statement, and for A2's, so my free time will have to accommodate light studying. 

But anyway, on with the books!

Harry Potter and the Cursed Child - BECAUSE IT'S COMING OUT ON JULY 31ST AND I MUST READ IT IMMEDIATELY. I WILL NOT SLEEP UNTIL I'VE READ THIS SCRIPT. IT'S EITHER GOING TO COMPLETE ME OR BREAK ME, BUT BRING IT ON! Speaking of Harry Potter....

Hogwarts Library Collection by J.K Rowling - I'm ashamed to say that, in spite of being five years deep into this obsession, I still haven't read The Tales of Beedle the Bard, Quidditch Through the Ages, and Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them. What's more shameful is that I've owned my copy of Beedle the Bard since its release in 2008, and yet 8 years on it still hasn't been opened [feel free to curse me, just nothing unforgivable.] However, my favourite podcast - Alohomora - is doing a reread and analysis of the 3 books over June/July, so there doesn't seem like a better time to get caught up. 

At least 3 classics - Throughout 2016, my aim is to read a classic per month as part of my aim to read a wider variety of fiction. This goal was going according to plan until May hit, and I had to stop reading whilst exams were going on. So, I'm one book behind, but there's plenty of time to get back on track. [By the way - a collection of my thoughts on these 12 classics will being going live in December, so watch out for that.]

Wuthering Heights - I'm loathing the fact that this is even making an appearance on this list, but Wuthering Heights has been announced as one of my A2 English Literature texts [the first one we're studying, actually.] As someone who struggles a lot with the romantics of the Brontes, I couldn't be looking forward to this any less, and therefore, am hoping to change that view over the summer, and maybe give this a first - non analytical read. 

Attachments by Rainbow Rowell - because it's the only Rainbow Rowell I haven't read yet. I hated Carry On, and then adored Kindred Spirits; given that this is back to Rowell's typical fluffiness then hopefully this will be loved too. 

Humans of New York; Stories by Brandon Stanton - I got this for my birthday back in December, and in spite of being essentially a picture book, I STILL haven't read this. I think this might be something I want to take my time with, looking through a few pages at a time, absorbing the wonder. 

Finally, there are a few books that I've accumulated over the past year, that if I don't read them in the summer may never be read at all. Examples of this are The Disenchantments by Nina LaCour, I'll Give You the Sun by Jandy Nelson, and The Last Summer of Us by Maggie Harcourt. These are books which as my tastes change, have less and less likelihood of being read, so now is the time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for commenting! I really appreciate every comment and do my best to provide a response.