Thursday, 30 June 2016

Worst Possible Plot Points of Cursed Child



So. We're getting an eighth Harry Potter book!



Well, technically it's a script book. From a play. I have a lot  of problems with the whole 'play in London' situation, and with the play in general, but still: HARRY POTTER IS BACK!
And whilst we're all delighted, no Potter book would be complete without servings full of emotional trauma, tears, and fury. It's so wonderful that's we're actually getting answers as to what is happening 19 years on from the Battle of Hogwarts. However, the wait for Cursed Child is agonising; and with anticipation comes plot worries. 

There are just a few not-so-minor potential plot points, that if they do feature in Cursed Child, I may resort to jumping off a cliff. 

Disclaimer - This is all coming from somebody who has not been to the previews of Cursed Child, and probably won't be going to see the play in performance for a couple of years at the earliest. 


Scorpius is bad. Scorpius is evil. 
I'm a big Scorose [Scorpius Malfoy and Rose Weasley] shipper, and anything in which he is a second generation Death Eater or the new Heir of Slytherin, or another sinister character will jeopardize the ship and later become Titanic. Also, based on the Pottermore information Rowling released, Draco is a moderately good person now. Can we just give the Malfoy's a break? 


Rose is a part of said darkness. 

'sometimes darkness comes from unexpected places.'

Rose is my favourite next generation character, and even if JKR writes it as cannon, I will refuse to believe she is dark. And to be honest, I don't want Rowling to put Rose's parents [Ron and Hermione] through this either - they need a break from the drama! As long as she doesn't hurt Rose [or Hugo, for that matter], I might be able to mildly tolerate whatever else this script features. 

Albus is a part of this darkness. E.g yet another undiscovered Horcrux that might be able to bring You-Know-Who back
 From the synopsis, it's undeniably obvious that Harry and Albus will both get mixed up in whatever 'darkness' this is, and no doubt Harry, being Harry, won't think before acting and get them in a load of trouble. Perhaps hoping Albus Potter won't be involved in this mess is pointless, but you can't help but want everybody to be okay.


Voldemort 2.0 
We do not need another Tom Riddle. We do not need another Hogwarts school life destroyed by being the 'Chosen One.' Odds are, he'd probably be even more evil than Voldemort, and create an uprising of Death Eaters and Dementors etc, you get the idea... Again, can we not just take 'All was well' as 'All was well?'

Ron and Hermione get a divorce.
This is my #1 worst possible plot point of Cursed Child. I love Ron and Hermione. I love Romione. They have been my OTP since before I even knew what an OTP was. In a 2014 interview with Emma Watson, J.K. Rowling mentioned that she regrets Ron and Hermione's romantic pairing as apparently, they aren't 'compatible enough.' Like a basilisk fang to a horcrux, my soul was destroyed. The trouble is that they seem blissfully happy in the epilogue of Deathly Hallows, so should JKR drop this kind of end-of-relationship bombshell, I don't know what I'll do. That sounds rather dramatic, but when you care for two characters as immensely as I care for Ron and Hermione, they feel like a part of your being. 


I mean, look at how adorable they are together...


Following on from Rowling's Quidditch World Cup article on Pottermore in 2014. I wrote a blog post on 'The J.K. Rowling Law.' My question was 'Is What Rowling Writes Potter Law?
What an author writes, especially in a series such as Harry Potter can be deemed as fictional law, and I think for the most part I have agreed with that. However, with the Cursed Child casting, and Ron and Hermione's relationship, this can be questionable. Should  JKR create Cursed Child cannon that I disagree with, for the first time, I will be willing to ignore it, and escape to the world of Fan Fiction. 

If commenting, please remember to #KeeptheSecrets. Don't be a Wormtail. No spoilers are permitted.

2 comments:

  1. I'll admit, I don't know that much about it, but I hope these don't come true and that you can enjoy Cursed Child! But... if J K Rowling paired Ron & Hermione romantically, then I don't think it's fair that she should reverse it purely because she regrets it? I mean, if they were happy in the books then... why should that change if there isn't a reason directly related to the plot? :-)
    <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooh this is an interesting post - I too have issues with the whole 'play in London' thing and have no idea if I will ever be able to go and see it which is SO SAD but, YAAAAS NEW HARRY POTTER BOOK. I agree with all your things, especially the Harry/Albus point and Voldemort 2.0...now we just have to wait and see...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting! I really appreciate every comment and do my best to provide a response.