Wednesday, 2 November 2016

WHY I DON'T DO NANOWRIMO





It's no secret that I want to be an author. I've been writing stories for as long as I can remember, and still am with every spare moment I can grasp. In recent years I have had so many ideas that could potentially end up as books or finished manuscripts, and I'm never going to be willing to give up on this dream, this ambition. Of course, I work and work on my writing - endlessly, and yet, I've never participated in NaNoWriMo before. Nor do I intend to - which is interesting considering so many authors find this the catalyst in writing now published novels. So here's why:

I don't have time - This is the most important factor right now. A few months ago, I started my second year of A-Levels and am drowning in a sea of essays, revision, and studying. I also have a voluntary job and am trying to write my Personal Statement and UCAS Applications. Nowadays, there rarely comes a time for writing without considering the chapter I need to reread for Sociology or the notes I need to edit for English Literature. 

Whenever I do get the time, I often don't feel like writing - I do so much of it for college, blogging, and reviewing, and so when the time is available, I'd rather read, listen to a podcast, or talk to friends. This isn't exactly how I want it to be, but currently, this is just the way things are. When I do choose to write in this time, I write for hours upon hours on end, but referencing back to my first point, I just don't have the time for that at the moment.

I don't see a near future where I'll have the time for a NaNoWriMo - Following on from my A Levels, and providing I'm successful in my exams, then I'll be off to University next year. Judging from that, it's clear that I'm not going to have a free November for at least another four years....

Writing can't be pressured - For me at least, unless it's in an educational situation [such as in my aspired degree of English Literature and Creative Writing,] I can't force myself to write so much in such a short space of time. When I pressure myself in non-academic conditions, the writing isn't anywhere near the same standard or quality it can be otherwise, and I struggle to attempt the writing process when I know the outcome is going to be bad. 

NaNoWriMo is a fantastic creation, and it works for so many people. I'm just not one of them. 


What do you think of NaNoWriMo? Have you participated? Are you going to?

Holly x

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for commenting! I really appreciate every comment and do my best to provide a response.