Tuesday, 11 July 2017

Oh, the Places:: Oxford


19th November 2016: Merely the word "Oxford" triggers images of history, dusty old books that smell of intellect, and Harry Potter, to me. It had always been a place that I'd visit someday but not quite yet. I know quite a few people who had always discussed "Oxbridge" applications: my childhood best friend's life goal when we were 10 was to get into Oxford, and since then I've met a lot of people who have applied. But it was never for me. To me, the nature of those universities appears as toxic, with people living in bubbles that come with a slight culture shock upon graduating. It was an atmsophere that I'd never wanted to be a part of, and still didn't when I discovered Oxford Brookes University. 

The degree I intend to commence in September isn't done in every University, and I'm very picky when it also comes to course content and location. On the page, this University had the course, it had the location, but in reality coming away from an open day, it was possibly the most poorly co-ordinated event I had ever seen, and my mum and I came away feeling massively disheartened. It was my fifth choice on UCAS, but as soon as the offer came in I declined it. 

Where we'd intended to spend 5 hours at the open day, we got in 90 minutes. Suddenly left with hours ahead of us before our train (that's what you get for booking advanced tickets), we decided to head into the city centre, and it was every charmingly pastiche cliche you could possibly imagine it to be.



Oxford University Press' bookshop. 


The cutest, tiniest alumni merchandise shop, which was also bursting with Harry Potter merchandise too. The owner and I accidentally ended up having a 15 minute conversation about Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them, which I had seen a few days earlier at the London premiere.


What must be one of my favourite photos ever: Bodleian Library and the surrounding colleges of Oxford University.

Oh, the Places is a series of posts in which I recap through photographs my travels, both expected and surprising across countries, cities, and seas. Consider these field notes from a wonderlust-filled student desperate to see more of the world than her English city. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for commenting! I really appreciate every comment and do my best to provide a response.